Here we will discuss the Cockatiel harness but before diving into it, I would like to introduce you about Cockatiel and some facts about this beautiful bird.
The cockatiel is a bird belongs to a cockatoo family and mostly found in Australia. The cockatiel is a household and friendly parrot.
According to the survey, Cockatiel is the second most popular bird in parrots after budgerigar.
Cockatiels are most popular for their mellow nature and easy to train for daily activities.
15 Interesting Facts About Cockatiel
- First discovered in 1770 in Australia
- “Nymphicus hollandicus” is an original species name.
- Cockatiels make great first pets
- Cockatiels are extremely smart and intelligent
- Cockatiels are easy to train and talk
- They live quite long (20 to 25 years)
- They come in different colors and different sizes
- Cockatiel makes great voice (Whistler)
- Gray is the most popular color
- The cockatiel is a very social bird
- Female Cockatiel is more aggressive than a male Cockatiel
- If you put a mirror in front of them, a female loses its interest faster than a male.
- Male cockatiels are more master at parenting compare to females.
- Female cockatiels are more responsible towards their baby chicks.
- Female cockatiels give 5 to 10 eggs.
Type Of Cockatiel
There is only one type of cockatiel, Nymphicus hollandicus, but it has a few different colors.
Colors Of Cockatiel
- Australian colors
- Australian fallow
- Common Colors
- Dominant silver
- Dominant yellow cheek
- Gold cheek
- Normal grey
- NSL lutino
- Pale fallow
- Parblue: Creamface
- Parblue: Pastelface
- Rare colors
- Sex-linked yellow cheek
Cockatiel color chart
Harness & Leash for Cockatiel Parrot
As we mentioned above that Cockatiels are pretty much friendly birds so a lot of people wants to take them outside.
If you take them out without cage or harness, they can fly away. Aviator Harness and leash is a kind of rope and strips that can help you to take your Cockatiel outdoor when you get away.
No doubt, Cockatiel hates to have the harness but everything has a solution. Whenever you want to have a harness & leash for your Cockatiel, then conduct a proper training and let your birds train to have a harness without any fear.
Cockatiels Harness Benefit:
Take your bird wherever you go-picnics, biking, ball games, skating, and much more.
The AVIATOR Bird Harness & Leash – Best Harness For Cockatiels
Aviator Cockatiels Harness is specially designed for birds like Cockatiels and similar size of that. The AVIATOR Harness is the only ESCAPE PROOF pet bird harness that you can use to take your Cockatiels away.
Aviator bird harness is one of the most affordable and comfortable harnesses that you can use. Aviator harness has a great length of leash that can let your pet fly as well.
The AVIATOR Bird Harness comes complete with a DVD showing:
How to easily install and safely use the AVIATOR
Training your pet to love the AVIATOR
Teaching older birds new tricks
Teaching your bird to fly outside with the AVIATOR
Positive personality changes to expect
What’s the best aviator harness size for a cockatiel?
It depends on the weight and age of a cockatiel. We have created a complete size chart here.
SIZING GUIDE (BASED ON ADULT BIRD WEIGHT)
For birds weighing between 75-110 grams.
Large Parakeets, Small Indian Ringnecks, Cockatiels & Small Conures (Green Cheeks, Brown Throat).
The Aviator was not initially designed for Parrotlets, Love Birds, Budgies and other small birds but many owners are using it by placing the belt behind the legs and around the tail instead of the waist. This method seems to work well and we have not received any notice of any problems.
For birds weighing between 110 – 190 grams.
Quakers, Senegal, Doves, Medium Parrakeets (Indian Ringneck, Port Lincoln), Rainbow Lories, Rosellas, Noble Macaw, Large Conures (Sun, Janday, Nanday, Blue Crown) & Caiques.
For birds weighing between 190 – 425 grams.
Amazons (Lilac Crown, Blue Front), Timneh African Grey, Alexandrine, Yellow Collar Macaw, Small Cockatoos (Goffins, Major Mitchell, Galah, Lesser Sulphur), Large Parakeets, Chattering Lori & all Pionus Parrots.
For birds weighing between 425-600 grams.
Examples Include: Eclectus, Medium Macaws (Severe, Red Fronted), Large Amazons (Double Yellow, Yellow Nape), Umbrella, Congo African Grey
For birds weighing between 600-1000grams.
Examples Include: Large Macaws (Blue & Gold Macaw), Triton, Small Moluccan, and Sulpher Crested Cockatoos
For birds weighing between 1000-1600grams.
Large Moluccan Cockatoos, Green Winged Macaws, Hyacynth Macaws & Blue & Gold Macaws.
How To Train Cockatiel to Wear a Bird Aviator Harness
Most of the birds hate to wear harness and Cockatiel too. Training is a very important aspect of the harness but once you have done this successfully, you will enjoy the company of your parrots too. If you own foster cockatiel or any other, then you can follow the below guide.
Cockatiel Harness Training First Step:
- Place your Cockatiel on a table or place which is smooth and he should feel comfortable standing there.
- Take the harness and hide the leash and put that harness in front of his eyes. Let him play or bite it so he should feel comfortable with it.
- Play hide and seeks with harness for at least 10 mins.
- After that, lavishly praise your bird and show more parts of harness and leash as well.
- If your Cockatiel afraid or threatened, then hide some part of the leash because it will look like a snake or something else.
- Now repeat this process until your Cockatiel parrot is comfortable with Cockatiel harness.
Second Phase to put on him actually:
The first step was to let your Cockatiel to play with leash and harness and now we will actually put the harness on Cockatiel both male and female.
- Touch harness with his wings and body to get more comfortable. Make sure this should be like a fun game or behave naturally.
- Now slowly put the harness on your Cockatiel head. If he feels comfortable then move ahead more otherwise repeat the process.
- Once you feel your Cockatiel bird is comfortable and allowing you to put on the head, then move now to wings and chest.
- Once your bird is comfortable with harness and leash, remove it and repeat the process again.
- Once your bird is comfortable with that, now adjust it so bird shouldn’t be escaped.
- After fitting the bird harness, now examine the time that how long your Cockatiel could survive with the harness.
- If Cockatiel can survive it for 30 seconds to 1 min, now you can take it to different rooms to increase his tolerance with the harness.
- Once you feel Cockatiel is pretty much happy with Cockatiel harness, now you can take it away.
Make sure to put harness regular so Cockatiel shouldn’t refuse to have it again.
Cockatiel Harness Training Duration
Training depends on how effectively you are training him. Definitely, it takes time to train any bird but Cockatiels are very much clever and intelligent so you can train them between 5 to 8 days if you follow above steps regularly.
Things to remember while training your Cockatiel for the harness:
- Choose harness color wisely and color shouldn’t be too unfamiliar for your bird.
- The harness should be flexible and soft so it should not harm any part of your Cockatiel.
- The harness shouldn’t be too close to his body. Keep one finger distance so you can place your finger between harness and body.
- Don’t do training for a longer period, otherwise, it will become mental fatigue for your parrot.
- Keep appreciating and loving during the training.
- Always do training indoor to avoid any mishap.
- Remove harness carefully, wings shouldn’t be damaged.
How to put an Aviator harness on a cockatiel
If you have purchased an Aviator bird harness and leash, then this product has a great CD of instruction that how you can put the harness on your Cockatiel.
Best Cockatiel harness DIY
You can make harness by yourself but you should know the size of your bird and how you can make it comfortable for them.
Here is the complete video about Cockatiel harness DIY:
Cockatiel Flight Harnesses You Can Purchase Online
There are different places where you can buy the best harness for the cockatiel.
- Visit local stores.
- Visit popular classified ads website.
- Amazon for Aviator Bird Harness. (Link)
- eBay has a great collection of harnesses too.
- You can get from AliExpress as well.
- The cockatiel harness is also available on the PetSmart store.
How much does it cost to buy a cockatiel harness?
Well, it depends on the quality of a harness. The most recommended and affordable bird harness is “The AVIATOR Pet Bird Harness and Leash” which you can buy for $36.49 from Amazon or any other selling store.
How long does a cockatiel bird live as a pet?
Cockatiel average lifespan is 20 to 25 years but male cockatiel gets more life compared to female cockatiels.
Do cockatiels make a good pet?
The cockatiel is famous to make good pets. Female cockatiel gives 10 to 15 eggs and most of them are fertile and makes good pets from them.
How do you get a cockatiel to like you?
It’s a dream of every pet lover to be loved by his pets but it’s not an easy wish to fulfill. You need to spend a lot of time with your cockatiel and play with him. Give some food to eat daily and take him out from the cage or get a harness and take him out so, like this, he will start loving you more and more.